Granby, Colorado is both an outdoorsman’s and thrill-seeker’s paradise. If your family is desperately needing a vacation that promises excitement and yes, even a little exercise, this town is where it’s at. Not only is skiing a popular activity there, but also hiking, fishing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, and so much more.
Maybe you’d prefer to take it easy and do a little shopping and splurging? They have that too! Here’s a look at some of the best places to visit, to stay, and eat while you’re visiting Granby, Colorado.
Located in Grand County, Granby is located just under two hours from Denver by car. It is about 25 minutes to Winter Park Ski Resort. And, about 30 minutes to the Grand Lake entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. There are three lakes located conveniently nearby — Lake Granby, Shadow Lake and Grand Lake.
Snow Mountain Ranch
Are you in need of a destination that involves less traveling each day and has countless adventures just waiting on you to crawl out of bed? Snow Mountain Ranch YMCA of the Rockies has over 5,000 acres of scenery and tons and tons of thrilling activities that await you.
- There is something that everyone will enjoy no matter what time of year you plan on visiting. The most popular time to visit is throughout the winter where they have cross country skiing, snow tubing, sledding, snowshoeing, sleigh rides, and ice skating. And, don’t miss dog sledding or snowmobiling!
- During the summer months, there’s a zip line, biking, hiking, horseback riding, canoeing, along with rafting, boating, and fishing opportunities nearby. You’ll also find an indoor pool for swimming and rock climbing wall that’s available year-round.
- The property offers you a variety of different housing accommodations including campsites, yurts, and cabins. If you’re not planning on staying on-site, they also have day passes available for your family, while children 5 and under are free.
Are you looking for a ski resort that is suitable for beginners, but is also considered challenging for any skiing experts that you may have in your family? Granby Ranch is a family-owned ski resort that is located about 90 miles west of Denver that you’ll want to definitely consider. For those of you that have been to a number of ski resorts in the past, Granby Ranch may look a little on the smaller side, but you’ll also notice how less crowded the slopes tend to be.
- The two main mountains are situated just to the east and the west of the resort, both of them offer you a different terrain.
- The West Mountain has blue and black runs that ski experts will enjoy, while the east mountain is perfect for beginners and intermediates alike. It’s also neat to know that you’re looking at the Continental Divide when you’re in Silver Creek.
- Children 5 and under are free, and if you’re visiting in the summertime. There are several other activities there such as golf, hiking, mountain biking, golfing, and fishing. Granby Ranch also has ski rentals and lessons, along with lodging and other housing rental options available.
Where to Eat in Granby, Colorado
For those of you that desperately need your coffee or tea in the morning, head on over to Mid Town Cafe, where they have delicious freshly-made pastries, and other breakfast and lunch items at a reasonable cost. It’s the perfect stop if you’re thinking about heading over to Winter Park or Grand Lake.
Granby Ranch Grill
After a fantastic day of skiing, you’re probably not going to feel like heading downtown to grab a bite for dinner. That’s okay! Granby Ranch Grill is conveniently located at the base of Granby Ranch and has plenty of tasty entrees to choose from. Artisan pizzas, steak, and salads are the menu’s main features, but they also have burgers and gluten-free options too.
Maverick’s Grill is another family dining experience where you can choose your favorite cut of steak, burgers, chicken, soups, and salad. They also have several microbrews and wines that pair nicely with their entrees as well.
It is also recommended that you head over to the Tabernash Tavern for a craft beer or one of their delicious signature cocktails. It’s a neat place to mingle with friends while being surrounded by a lively night-time atmosphere. The establishment also has plenty of international good eats, as well as a menu that changes periodically, so you’re always able to try something new!
Never Summer Brewing CO
If you’re simply in the mood for a good craft brew, the Never Summer Brewing CO. is a popular spot among the locals. They even have handmade soap that you can buy. Well-trained pets are welcome should you choose to bring them.
Places to Stay
Snow Mountain Ranch
Snow Mountain Ranch has several different lodging options, all of which give guests access to the entirety of the property and the multitude of fun things to do in both summer and winter.
There are tent camping sites, RV camping sites, glamping at a yurt village, cabins ranging from two bedrooms up to five bedrooms and rooms in lodges.
We were originally booked in one of the lodge rooms but ended up staying in a spacious three-bedroom cabin. These mountain cabins are truly the way to go. They have large decks with outdoor seating, perfect for dinner or a morning coffee. While the decor is basic, they are very comfortable and have everything you could need.
Spirit Lake Lodge (Grand Lake)
At Spirit Lake Lodge, they not only offer you an affordable and comfortable stay in Grand Lake, but they even have snowmobile rentals that are available to you.
There’s also the convenience of being within walking distance of several shops and restaurants, and of course, a hot tub to relax at the end of your evening.
Grand Lake Lodge (Grand Lake)
Grand Lake Lodge has an exceptional location adjacent to Rocky Mountain National Park, one of Colorado’s four national parks. Guests can actually hike into Rocky National Park from their cabin, or enjoy views of beautiful Grand Lake from the property.
The cabins are charming. The views are beyond spectacular. And, there’s an interesting history.
This historic lodge and cabins is only open during the summer. Which is the ideal time to visit Grand Lake.
Granby Colorado Hiking
There is no shortage of hiking in the Granby Colorado area. Snow Mountain Ranch boasts a spectacular waterfall hike. Grand Lake Lodge has hiking trails leading off its property into Rocky Mountain National Park.
When you’re in need of some fresh air and a good hike, Mirror Lake Trail is a moderate 12.6 mile there and back trail that has exceptional mountain and lake views. You may also see plenty of wildlife such as elk, moose, mule deer, and fields of wildflowers.
Staying in Granby, Colorado will be the adventure that your family is looking for. Whether you’re there for winter activities, sight-seeing, shopping, or perhaps even eating, you’re sure to have an extraordinary time. Even if it’s your first time skiing there, their skiing resorts have plenty of great beginner slopes that will have you coming back year after year.